Please permit me a little bragging. In addition to starred reviews in School Library Journal and Publisher’s Weekly, my book Nothing But Trouble: The Story of Althea Gibson (Knopf, 2007) has been selected for Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People 2008, a cooperative project of the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) and the Children’s Book Council (CBC). We also learned that the book is a finalist in the NAACP Image Awards in the Children’s Literary Awards category. The other books are so amazing. Here’s the whole slate. The winners will be decided on February 14 at the Shrine Auditorium in L.A.
Outstanding Literary Work – Children
- “A Friendship For Today” – Patricia C. McKissack (Scholastic Inc.)
- “Elijah of Buxton” – Christopher Paul Curtis (Scholastic Inc.)
- “Let it Shine: Three Favorite Spirituals” – Ashley Bryan (Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing/Atheneum)
- “Nothing but Trouble: The Story of Althea Gibson” – Sue Stauffacher, Author; Greg Couch, Illustrator (Random House)
- “Young Pelé: Soccer’s First Star – Lesa Cline-Ransome, Author; James Ransome, Illustrator (Random House)